Thursday, February 19, 2009

Let's Get Political: Personal Commentary on President Barak Obama’s Inauguration

For all of his political flaws and inexperience, I suppose it’s safe to say that President Barak Obama is a charismatic and moving speaker. His charming and unassumingly appealing way of presenting himself perhaps salvaged his triumph in the presidential election against the grey-suited hoard of Republicans: the ever-stuttering George W. Bush, the alarmingly conservative John McCain, and the staunch gun-advocate Sarah Palin.
To the sensible eye, putting another Republican in the seat of Commander in Chief would have been purely taboo, correct? It is quite safe of the American population to rest the burdens of an entire nation upon the shoulders of one man, a man unofficial termed as ‘the most powerful in the world’. Yeesh, it is without a doubt that a good number of Americans are more willing than not to cast a grumble or a look of disdain upon the term of President George W. Bush; a man who, for all of his positive convictions, couldn’t verbalize gracefully for his life!And then, alas, like a breath of fresh air… Senator Barack Obama announces that he is running for the Democratic Party. Halleluiah; I could almost hear the nation breathe a sigh of relief, and the notion of ‘let’s vote for him because he’s black, and he’s a democrat’ being sung from East coast to West coast.
Here we are, the beginning of a new year, and our new president is making himself cozy up on Capitol Hill. I sat through the speeches, the fanfare, the parade, and somehow I still can’t seem to grasp the concept that anything at all has changed in this country. The more I read, the more I realize that promises must be taken back, in order to please the laws of the party. I understand President Obama, as I sit here listening to him speak about peace and good for mankind, but I cannot help but feel like his promises are half-ass.
I may be completely wrong, but my feminine intuition tells me that my inner premonitions are only foreshadowing certain disappointments. I can only assume that if shit hits the fan during our new president’s administration, that the press, the American people, and the world will be gracious in their judgments of him. We wouldn’t want to end up like France; everyone knows what happened to Robespierre.
On another point, I found the sermon to be a bit overrated and wordy. The address by President Obama, while revitalizing and pseudo-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., was deficient in the towering rhetoric he is best known for using in like speeches. I found myself thinking ‘have I heard this before, in different context’? and ‘Is it just me, or does he toot his own horn a little bit?’
Oh, who am I kidding, he’s a politician! Like the rest, he’ll say whatever he must to be the darling of American reform. He’s the leader of this country now; he’s doing his part to assure that the people are pleased. Without their help, he knows he’s good for nothing. I just hope that if he does, shockingly, reveal that he’s a human who makes mistakes, the whole world doesn’t hate him for it. I can almost hear President Obama, whispering, as he lays his head on his pillow at night ‘I sure hope I don’t end up like that Bush guy.’

No comments:

Post a Comment